Saturday, March 17, 2007

SXSW - Day 6 - We Gathered in Spring

Last day of SXSW, but still a good one. Hungover as hell from the previous day, I couldn't get out of bed until about 9:30. This ended up being much more of a mellow day, and had my travel companion not sabotaged my chance to see The Apples in Stereo, it would have been much sweeter. Oh well, it's not my fault that he thinks that Rob Schneider has a whinier voice than Billy Corgan. He must have never heard Billy Corgan's voice (man, that would be a sweet life).

Shows listed in order of increasing awesomeness, and they all begin with the letter "M" (because that's how we planned it).

Mohair
I think the name of this band referred to the fact that they're the indie rock version of a hair band. Kind of interesting, to say the least, but the singer had a total Robert Plant thing going on. The highlight of the set was when he was telling us how their tour manager had "bruised his ass in such a manner that he can no longer sit down." We were then asked that if we saw said manager, that we should give him a "pat on the button." Very smarmy.

Menomena
They sounded good despite the fact that it was an outdoor stage, which was cool. I like their brand of music, it's very mellow, but at the same time it's not. Their singer can actually sing (so he can avoid any comparisons to Billy Corgan, thank god). Check them out if you have a chance.

Midlake
Playing a shortened set (and I don't know why, it was their showcase), Midlake was visibly distraught. I don't think everything on stage was going right for them, but somehow they managed to sound very tight. Even when Danny Masterson (of Hyde from That 70's Show fame) was in the crowd trying to get a chant of "Midlake, Midlake" going during one of the most mellow songs in existence, the singer just shushed him and continued. Very cool.

Mew
Borrowing a chapter from the book of Tool, Mew played with a somewhat dimly lit stage and crazy visuals in the background. It fits very well with their brand of shoegaze music. This was easily the best of their two and a half sets I saw during the week, mainly because they finally had all their sound working. If you're looking for a track to check out, I suggest "Special". Definitely the highlight of the set, and definitely their best song.

I should be posting a SXSW wrap-up with my own brand of wit and vitriol in the next couple of days. Keep your eyes peeled and your refresh buttons pushed.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Wait...so I ordered 60 people to stand in line at Red 7 at approximately 4:50 PM in order to keep you from seeing someone who CLEARLY has a worse voice than Billy Corgan? Damn, you found me out!
 
Do you like TV on the Radio? Apparently Peytra's (OMG Peytra lol) friend met them, exchanged numbers, and refused to go hang out with them when they called her a day later asking her to meet them at a bar. What asshole passes up such an opportunity?

p.s. come visit me before I kill myself from boredom.
 
TV on the Radio is pretty good. Their record doesn't really live up to the hype, but I have nothing against them.

I need to contact you about staying with you on a Saturday night very soon. I'll be in town for a concert, and I don't want to drive back that night.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Listed on BlogShares