Friday, March 16, 2007

SXSW - Day 5 - My Baby Had To Go

Started drinking way too early today. Ugh, what was I thinking? Oh right, I was thinking "man, I like drinking."

Shows listed in "increasing awesomeness" order, yet again.

Calla
I wish I hadn't been so drunk and jonesing for a cigarette by the time they came on, because I probably would have liked the show a lot (from what I did hear). At least I got to wander around and found the Architecture in Helsinki guys. I got to ask them important questions, which I'll elaborate on in a bit.

The Besnard Lakes
It was really windy when they came on, and they were about 45 minutes late; doesn't really make for the best atmosphere for a show. I was able to enjoy it thanks to lubrication from "Lone Star Beer," but I feel like it could have been better. The show definitely convinced me to pay more attention to their record, however, so I'm looking forward to getting a chance to just sit down and listen.

120 Days
I had never even heard of this band. I don't know why or how. They were an amazing version of some kind of electronic ultra insanity, and I loved it. I tried talking to the bass player afterward, and he was a jackass, so I'll probably be stealing their record instead of buying it, but we'll have to see what happens.

Mew
They were also late in coming on, probably due to the fact that The Besnard Lakes started 45 minutes late and pushed everyone forward. (Mew and TBL were playing at the same venue, but their sets were something like 6 and a half hours apart.) I wanted to catch St. Vincent later on, so I only got to hear their first three songs (and I was really drunk at this point). It could have been better if I weren't such a failure, but I am seeing them again tomorrow, so it should be cool.

Architecture in Helsinki
Alright, AIH has this one song where the girl in the band sings "baby, give it to me" over and over. This is the greatest song anyone has ever written. I have scoured their records for it, with no luck, after I had heard it for the first time when they opened up for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah back in the fall. I found the band hanging out outside the venue whilst Calla was on, and I got to talk to them, and found out that it will be on the new record. I told them what I had done looking for it, and they thought it was hilarious, so that was pretty cool. Great show, but I was so full of joy and beer by the time they came on that I don't really remember too much of it distinctly.

St. Vincent
Finally got to see her with an entire backing band, which included the bass player from Midlake. The main reason why the set was so cool was that it was entirely different from her normal solo set. The version of "Paris is Burning" that they played sounded a lot closer to the one on her EP, and it was nice to see her have a chance to just completely rock out to the utmost. Normally, that's a tough thing to do when it's just a solitary person and a guitar. I got a chance to chat with the bassist from Midlake afterward, who told me that Annie (the St. Vincent girl) is trying to get a band together that she can take on the road, so this is a crazy development. I couldn't get to her to let her know that I had a chance to catch her showcase, but I'll be seeing her again in about a month when she opens for John Vanderslice. That should be a really cool show.

The Good, the Bad and the Queen
As of this exact moment, seeing this act was the highlight of the entire week. Damon Albarn is basically the coolest cat in all of music history, so it was no surprise that this show basically ruled the entire world. It's unlikely I'll ever see him perform again, so this was definitely a treat, even though most of the jerks there did not know what they were in for. In case you were wondering: yes, Damon Albarn sounds exactly like he does on his records. Exactly.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Listed on BlogShares