Friday, November 11, 2005

Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive, and...Dodge.

As you may or may not know (actually, I have no idea how any of you would know), I have joined an intramural dodgeball team. The team is made up of entirely mathematics graduate students, and the name of the team is "Your Math Teacher." It's still funny to me every time I hear the announcer say, "On court 6, we have Team Buchanan playing against Your Math Teacher." Yes, I'm easily amused.

However, most of the teams we have to play against are extremely athletic types who seem to be taking the game seriously and are actually quite good at it. They'll be arguing with referees and throwing tantrums when they get out. It's rather depressing to watch a bunch of undergraduates act like this. I wonder, if the had the same flair for their studies, wouldn't they just be amazing students?

Needless to say, since we're just a bunch of wannabe mathemagicians, it's downright impossible to win a game. We've been close, but we haven't gotten over that first hurdle yet.

At the time of this writing, we're 0-18, in fact.

We had a few matches last night, and I tried something new, which was just being undeniably aggressive. Usually, that's how I ever win anything that is based on physical prowess, because let's face it; when you're as cool/intelligent/amazing as I am, you have to have a trade off somewhere. However, my aggressiveness is unparalleled, and that's what often lifts me above my opponents. I tried it last night and got a few guys out, but every time I tried to catch a ball, I dropped it. Now my knees are skinned, and you know how annoying that is.

If I may mention something else, you should all know that I have been named as the recipient of the Graduate College Teaching Excellence award for the Fall of 2005. That's right, I'm fucking outstanding. You should wish that you and your children could have me as a teacher.

It's just nice, after all this time of teaching and tutoring, to finally get some respect. Oh, and a check for 200 dollars as well.

There are two parties this weekend that I'm going to. My liver and kidneys will probably be shutting down around 1am on Sunday, so I'll let you know how that works out.

Comments:
dodgeball is awesome. i prefer calling it bombardment, though.

you guys should work out some sort of flying V strategy that will not only win you the game but inspire today's youth to try hard and work at achieving their dreams.

come on, c'ch.

oh, i finally got my autolux LP. for free.
 
If it makes you feel better, my volleyball team plays in the lowest league and we lost all our 8 games this year so far.
The other TAs have to teach pretty terribly if you get this award, but still congrats.

Martn
 
It's 1AM Sunday. Do you know where your kidneys are at?

Congratulations on the award.
 
congrats on being fucking outstanding as a teacher...mad props!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Listed on BlogShares