Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Tale of Two Concerts


swiss cheese for the robots

I've been to a couple concerts over the last week, and I must say that they are amazing. Since the original intent of this "blog" (which sounds like a dirty sex act, or my mind is just constantly "in the gutter," which is another phrase that sounds like a sex act) was to let everyone else know that their tastes in music suck, I thought I'd let you all know how awesome the concerts were that you missed.

Last week Tuesday, I skipped town to go see Autolux and Nine Inch Nails in St. Paul. (Some band played in between Nine Inch Nails and Autolux, but I can't remember who they are because they suck.) I can't remember the Autolux set list, but that's okay, and you'll find out why if you keep reading.

When I got there, it was still about 2 hours before the doors opened, so I decided to go to a bar and drink a few beers. The instant I walk in, I am greeted by 4 fans of "The Nine Inch Nails," as they said. I got liquored up with them, had a gay guy try to get me to give him his phone number, and decided to stumble over to the show.

Autolux kicked ass, but everyone didn't know who they were and basically were disinterested by them. You definitely need to be introduced to their recordings before you hear them live, since they are basically one of the noisiest bands in the history of bands.

I ignored the band in the middle and used that time to drink more alcohol on an empty stomach than anyone should be allowed to drink. If you're really wondering who this mystery middle band was, I'm pretty sure that their lead singer is Craig Kilbourn, so go look that up if you're really into finding things out.

Nine Inch Nails was very, very good. The whole show was on target, which is really surprising because the drummer who is with them now had been with them for less than a week at the time I had seen them. I was in the seats, but ran down to get my ass kicked in the middle of a bunch of people once "March of the Pigs" started up. It ruled. I was sweaty, drunk, and beaten down. Then I had to drive to my brother's apartment to die.

Here's the set list from the Nine Inch Nails show:

Pinion
Love Is Not Enough
You Know What You Are?
Terrible Lie
The Line Begins To Blur
March of the Pigs
The Frail
The Wretched
Closer
Burn
Gave up
Eraser
Right Where It Belongs
Beside You In Time
Wish
Sin
Only
Reptile
Suck
Hurt
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like A Hole


It was quite extensive, quite surprising, and quite amazing. If you know anything about anything, you'll see that the nice surprises are the inclusion of "Burn" and "Reptile." If you know something about one thing, you'll find it a little strange that there is really only one song off of the two-disc masterpiece that is The Fragile. All in all, it was worth the total 6 hours of driving and 60 dollars I had to shell out. If you weren't there, you're a failure.

Now, just two days ago, I had the pleasure of seeing Autolux headline a show. They played at a place called the M-Shop, which is pretty much the smallest place I've ever seen a band play, and definitely the smallest place any band has ever played after opening for someone as big as Nine Inch Nails.

Autolux's set list went like this:

23 Watt Apple Juice
Capital Kind of Strain
Plantlife
Robots in the Garden
Here Comes Everybody
Blanket
Sugarless
Sub-Zero Fun
Turnstile Blues
Reappearing


Again, if you know anything about anything, you'll know that "Turnstile Blues" and "Sugarless" are two of the best pop songs ever penned by anyone in the history of songs that have been penned. If you'd like to find out more about Autolux, you can go here.

I wish I could have talked to the band a little more after the show, but I have found out that they played "23 Watt Apple Juice" at the request of a couple of fans who had seen them the night previous. I was pretty upset about that; I would have suggested that they play "Future Perfect," but eh. I also found out that they are only going to play all ages shows from now on, which means that they are never going to be at the M-Shop again. That is quite a downer.

I know this entry wasn't funny like my other ones, but that's because you don't have a sense of humor.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Listed on BlogShares