Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Just dial "hell," and I'll answer.


engage

Alright, here's the deal. Normally when I post something, there's a specific topic/story that I'm going to talk about, but this time it's different. I don't have anything definite to cover. However, I will tell you why "Elizabethtown" is the movie of the week.

Since my life revolves around music and movies (which is basically the predominant art form of today), I try to spend as much time listening and watching them (respectively) as I can. Hence, anytime no one is near me, regardless of what I'm doing, I'll make sure music is playing. Sometimes I'll just sit around and listen to music as well. That's how much I like it.

Because the existence of movies is the second reason why I am alive, I try to see every new movie that comes out that looks remotely good. I won't go and see things like "Wedding Crashers" or "Stealth" in a theater, but since I try to see a lot of movies, I get to see a lot of previews. I make lists afterwards of movies I'm going to see when they finally hit theaters, and I'll go to them, whether or not someone will come with me.

Since I usually can't procure a date for these things (plus anyone who would go to a movie with me anyway would probably be really disinterested in actually discussing it afterward) I usually go alone. In fact, I have a weekly thing I do. Every Sunday night, I'll go to the latest possible showing of the movie that I've chosen that week, then hit up the pool hall and see how many racks I can shoot in an hour. It's a great way to end your weekend, and it's really relaxing for me to be alone yet still be out and about. I like it.

This week's choice was "Elizabethtown." I knew I probably wasn't going to like it too much, but the previews made it look just a bit too charming to pass up. I like Orlando Bloom, and Kirsten Dunst (although her teeth are way too crooked for anyone to truly enjoy) has something going for her that I can't quite put my finger on. Judy Greer, although she's only been in movies that I am ashamed to admit that I've seen, kind of makes me want to sacrifice my firstborn son (provided I ever have one) just to spend a week with her in some beautiful European city.

Although I left the movie feeling quite good about the state of things in the world, it was entirely too melodramatic. Coming from the King Bee, that really means something, as I am the incarnation of melodrama. I freak out at the drop of a hat, it's totally the end of the world if I can't get my hair styled just right in the morning, and the slightest gust of wind will make me prostrate myself and desperately beg whatever god might be listening to off me right then and there.

Plus, Orlando Bloom was totally not true to his form. He delivered some lines more dryly than even the Mojave Desert would care for. In fact, I think I actually gagged at some points. His delivery was so off that his fusebox must have blown from the first day of filming. I feel as though the blame should rest on the shoulders of "director" (and I use the term loosely) Cameron Crowe, but come on. This is just ridiculous.

So, do I suggest you see it? No. Did I even like it? Not really. It's probably a 6 on a scale of 10. Why is it the movie of the week? Because it was the "Sunday Night Lonely King Bee Extravaganza" movie. No more, no less.

"Domino" is probably going to come next. So when we all realize how much worse that movie is than getting naked, rolling around in a pile of broken glass, then taking a dip in a nearby swimming pool filled entirely with lemonade, we won't claim I have terrible taste in movies. We'll all just claim that I waste my money on them.

In other news, the new Depeche Mode record, "Playing The Angel," came out yesterday. I strongly suggest you all buy it.

Finally, in the place of the "song of the week," I've placed a link to my "last.fm" profile. You can find out what you should be listening to by seeing what I listen to. It's that simple, really. After this week is over, I think I can safely say that Autolux should be number one on the list. Basically: LISTEN TO AUTOLUX. That is all.

Comments:
man it's been forever since you updated this shit.
 
Seriously though, would you update already? Are you dead? It's hard to avoid studying when there's nothing more interesting to read.
 
MOVIES,HBO and SHOW TIME: Hey Guys, I found a cool site that Saves me a bunch on Premium Movie Channels. Beats My Cable Hands Down, and it's ALL DIGITAL. Check this site out .**Movies**
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Listed on BlogShares