Thursday, August 18, 2005

Better consult Stephen Hawking on this one.


organic jasmine pearl dragon #1

I just got back from a romantic dinner alone, mainly because I am not aware of any female in a 50 mile radius who actively wants to be with me. I did, however, choose a place where I know a cute waitress works, and I went mainly so I could make eyes with her, which I did wholeheartedly. She even engaged me in some small talk for like 45 seconds, so we can safely say "mission accomplished." The only thing that irritated me was that she was waiting on every table in the restaurant except mine. Instead, I had the less than attractive male waiter, while the sexy-like-a-librarian-with-a-nose-piercing Nici tended to all of the elderly customers. Furthermore, I had to put up with some divorced thirtysomething man flirting with my love interest. I should have been more proactive. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

However, this is not going to be the topic for today's entry. We're going to talk about Best Buy today, and we will try to discover why it is a black hole for the memories of all the employees there.

I grant myself about 50 dollars a month to spend at Best Buy, otherwise I probably wouldn't have enough money to eat. I've been sticking to this pretty rigorously, so I was all happy yesterday when I finally got to go there for the first time this month. I had plans to buy Sin City on DVD, and while I was there, I decided to pick up the John Cusack classic "Better Off Dead" and New Order's "Waiting for the Sirens' Call," a CD that has just been dying to be in my collection since it came out back in early spring. After finding all these items, I gleefully walked up to the registers along with a 5 dollar coupon in hand.

First, my cashier was a lanky fellow, couldn't have been more than 19, who couldn't figure out that his scanning gun was caught in his cash drawer (there's a double entendre for you). He kept pulling and pulling, and wouldn't listen to my pleas to just open the cash drawer. After ringing me up, the bill came to 53-something, and I was astounded. He claimed everything seemed to be in order, so I paid him.

On my way out, the "meeter-and-greeter" gave me a head nod and told me to have a nice night. I reciprocated the sentiment, and I was on my way out the door. While passing through the Star Trek automatic doorjamb, I decided to look at my receipt and try to figure out how these 3 items, along with a 5 dollar coupon, could cost over 50 dollars. I then realized that he had rung up my CD twice when I had only one copy. Well, that's what we get for allowing failures to work as cashiers.

No problem, I think to myself. I can just walk back inside and get this taken care of instantly. I wasn't in "give me what I want or I'll destroy your company" mode, like I can be sometimes, so everything should run smoothly. I turn around and walk through the entrance door.

Dear readers, please realize that at most 12 to 15 seconds have passed since "my future lies in being a greeter at Wal-Mart" guy gave me the head nod and wished me a good evening. Here is the conversation that ensued as I reentered the store:

Him: Hi! [seeing the bag in my hand] Returning something today?
Me: Uh, no, not really. The guy over there just accidentally rang my CD up twice, so I just wanted to get that rectified.
Him: Okay, not a problem. Did this happen today?
Me: Are you serious? You just watched me walk out the door and you said "Have a good night." That was like 15 seconds ago.
Him: Sorry sir, I don't remember every face that I see throughout the day.
Me: Wow, then you must be a bang-up security guard. This was about 20 seconds ago.
Him: I'm not a security guard. I just stand here and make sure no one is walking out with any merchandise without paying for it.
Me: Isn't that what a security guard does?
Him: Yeah, well, I don't have a license or anything.
Me: Alright....
Him: So, let's see what you're returning today. Are you returning all 3 of the items in this bag?
Me: I just told you. I'm not returning anything. The cashier over there charged me twice for this CD, and I want rectified.
Him: Jeez, sorry. Let me walk you over to the returns counter.

I know I'm not the most unique person in the world, or the most memorable. However, I do know for a fact that I am in the top 2 percentile for men with the longest hair in this country. You don't often see someone with hair as long and as black as mine, especially here in Iowa. When you see me, acknowledge me, then see me 15 seconds later, you should be able to realize, "Hey, that's the same guy I just saw."

I think I lost some brain cells while conversing with this sorry excuse for a rational being, but that's the price one pays for shopping at Best Buy. That, and their "Buy one CD, pay double the price" promotion they have running right now.

As a second instance of memory black holedness, we turn our attention to the next part of the story. There is a girl about my age who works as a cashier there, and through some crazy roll of the dice, she is my cashier 9 times out of 10. Whenever that happens, I make some joke about how I don't want to have a free subscription to Entertainment Weekly, because I know she's going to ask because she has to. She always laughs and so forth. I assume she would recognize me. Here is the conversation we had:

Her: What seems to be the problem?
Me: [I explain.]
Her: Sorry about that. [Pushes some buttons, scans some things.] So, are you moving in today like everyone else?
Me: What?
Her: Into the dorms? Are you moving in today?
Me: No, I've lived her about a year now. Don't you remember me?
Her: Sorry! Where did we meet?
Me: Uh, here. I always joke to you about Entertainment Weekly, because I never want it.
Her: Sorry. I just thought you were a freshman is all.

Apparently this relationship meant more to me than it did to her.

I have no idea what's going on in this Best Buy. It is probably not unlike what happens in the movie Dark City, but I'm just not evolved enough to prove it yet. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Lastly, don't complain about the fact that "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (book)" is on two lines on your computer screen. Get a bigger monitor with better resolution. It's all on one line for me.

Comments:
You should take advantage of your Best Buy anonymity and start stuffing stereos down your pants.

Jack
 
There's always "next time."
 
This was your best story yet. Oh, wait... this is your real life. Ha, ha. All the better (or sadder). I think your memoirs "When I Was King" will someday win the Pulitzer... or at least the Caldecott Medal.

dp
 
I'm glad you can dig on it. Soon I'll also be using the TMMMLB as an outlet again. I can't wait!
 
='Brand New News Fr0m The Timber Industry!!'=

========Latest Profile==========
Energy & Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY)
Current Price $0.045
================================

Recognize this undiscovered gem which is poised to jump!!

Please read the following Announcement in its Entierty and
Consider the Possibilities�
Watch this One to Trad,e!

Because, EGTY has secured the global rights to market
genetically enhanced fast growing, hard-wood trees!

EGTY trading volume is beginning to surge with landslide Announcement.
The value of this Stoc,k appears poised for growth! This one will not
remain on the ground floor for long.

KEEP READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

===============
"BREAKING NEWS"
===============

-Energy and Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY) owns a global license to market
the genetically enhanced Global Cedar growth trees, with plans to
REVOLUTIONIZE the forest-timber industry.

These newly enhanced Globa| Cedar trees require only 9-12 years of growth
before they can be harvested for lumber, whereas worldwide growth time for
lumber is 30-50 years.

Other than growing at an astonishing rate, the Global Cedar has a number
of other benefits. Its natural elements make it resistant to termites, and
the lack of oils and sap found in the wood make it resistant to forest fire,
ensuring higher returns on investments.
T
he wood is very lightweight and strong, lighter than Poplar and over twice
as strong as Balsa, which makes it great for construction. It also has
the unique ability to regrow itself from the stump, minimizing the land and
time to replant and develop new root systems.

Based on current resources and agreements, EGTY projects revenues of $140
Million with an approximate profit margin of 40% for each 9-year cycle. With
anticipated growth, EGTY is expected to challenge Deltic Timber Corp. during
its initial 9-year cycle.

Deltic Timber Corp. currently trades at over $38.00 a share with about $153
Million in revenues. As the reputation and demand for the Global Cedar tree
continues to grow around the world EGTY believes additional multi-million
dollar agreements will be forthcoming. The Global Cedar nursery has produced
about 100,000 infant plants and is developing a production growth target of
250,000 infant plants per month.

Energy and Asset Technology is currently in negotiations with land and business
owners in New Zealand, Greece and Malaysia regarding the purchase of their popular
and profitable fast growing infant tree plants. Inquiries from the governments of
Brazil and Ecuador are also being evaluated.

Conclusion:

The examples above show the Awesome, Earning Potential of little
known Companies That Explode onto Investor�s Radar Screens.
This s-t0ck will not be a Secret for long. Then You May Feel the Desire to Act Right
Now! And Please Watch This One Trade!!


GO EGTY!


All statements made are our express opinion only and should be treated as such.
We may own, take position and sell any securities mentioned at any time. Any
statements that express or involve discussions with respect to predictions,
goals, expectations, beliefs, plans, projections, object'ives, assumptions or
future events or perfo'rmance are not
statements of historical fact and may be
"forward,|ooking statements." forward,|ooking statements are based on expectations,
estimates and projections at the time the statements are made that involve a number
of risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results or events to differ
materially from those presently anticipated. This newsletter was paid $3,000 from
third party (IR Marketing). Forward,|ooking statements in this action may be identified
through the use of words such as: "pr0jects", "f0resee", "expects". in compliance with
Se'ction 17. {b), we disclose the holding of EGTY shares prior to the publication of
this report. Be aware of an inherent conflict of interest resulting from such holdings
due to our intent to profit from the liquidation of these shares. Shar,es may be sold
at any time, even after positive statements have been made regarding the above company.
Since we own shares, there is an inherent conflict of interest in our statements and
opinions. Readers of this publication are cautioned not
to place undue reliance on
forward,|ooking statements, which are based on certain assumptions and expectations
involving various risks and uncertainties that could cause results to differ materially
from those set forth in the forward- looking statements. This is not solicitation to
buy or sell st-0cks, this text is or informational purpose only and you should seek
professional advice from registered financial advisor before you do anything related
with buying or selling st0ck-s, penny st'0cks are very high risk and you can lose your
entire inves,tment.
 
You deserve to die for that comment.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Listed on BlogShares